Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Who Cares?

If you were to ask me what my favorite part about senior year is, I would say the fact that I don't give two shits about what anyone thinks about me. As horrifying as it may sound to some of you, frankly I just don't care. I will be living in a different state in less than 5 months. I will be making new friends and new memories and creating experiencs and opportunities for myself that I will cherish for the rest of my life. So yeah, I don't give a damn about high school drama and whether or not I'm popular. (I have friends that like me, so doesn't that mean I'm popular in my group of friends?) Rhett Butler from Gone With the Wind says it best, "Frankly my dear I don't give a damn."

Now don't go twisting my words and making it sound like I'm a heartless creature who should live as a bottom-feeder in the deep, dark abyss. I will miss a lot about this prison we call high school. My friends. I guess that's basically it. I just feel like I'm ready to move past dealing with the constant dilemmas of teenage girls. "What outfit should I wear?" "Do these jeans make my butt look big?" "The party starts at 8 so let's get there at like 8:42 so we're not too late, but we're like not like the first like ones there like." "I really want to lose three pounds." (Mean girls, anyone?) Why does it matter what anyone else thinks? Shouldn't we be free to do whatever the heck it is that we want to do? Living life passively is not fulfilling. I guess some people were born to be leaders and to stand out, but if everyone's so unique why don't they show that more?

I'm conflicted. I want to be motivational and get everyone to be who they really are, but I feel like I sound like a gigantic B-I-T-C-H. So if you feel that way, I'm sorry. I'm not a mean person I swear! I'm just fed up and exhausted from having to deal with such shallow people. Heck, maybe I do belong in the abyss?

What I'm trying to say is: be yourself. It's the most satisfying way to live your life. And as cliche as this is going to sound (please use your provided brown paper bags for the dinner you are about to lurch back up because of my horrendous use of cliche commencement speech-esque words) If people don't like you for who you are, then they are a)not your true friends and therefore b)not worth your time.

Smile. Be you. Own it. And smile some more.

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome!!
    -Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you still blog and you blog so often!! Your posts are great and interesting, and I really like this one :)

    ReplyDelete